Students may apply for a Performance Bursary from any sport. Each application will be evaluated on a case by case basis, based on the national competitiveness of each sport.
The following bursaries are available to players who have reached the required South African national rankings as administered by SAGA and Golf RSA.
Top 3 (1-3) ranked Junior Boys Under 15 – 50%
Top 3 (1-3) ranked Junior Boys Under 17 – 50%
Top 3 (1-3) ranked Junior Boys Under 19 – 50%
Top 10 (4-10) ranked Junior Boys Under 15 – 25%
Top 10 (4-10) ranked Junior Boys Under 17 – 25%
Top 10 (4-10) ranked Junior Boys Under 19 – 25%
Top 10 (1-10) SAGA Open Amateur Mens Ranking – 50%
Top 25 (11-25) SAGA Open Amateur Mens Ranking – 25%
Top 5 (1-5) WGSA Ranking (Junior or Senior) – 50%
Top 10 (6-10) WGSA Ranking (Junior or Senior) - 25%
South African National Colours (Full, Junior, Male or Female) – 50%.
- The above does not apply to any other nations ranking or national representation.
- For the purposes of identifying the junior rankings, BSI recognises as valid those players on the ranking lists that are deemed ‘DNQ’.
- Qualifying for international junior events does not constitute national colours. BSI reserves the right to not award, withhold or withdraw a bursary to an eligible player based on poor conduct, attitude, behaviour or etiquette.
- Bursaries are valid for all BSI full-time programs that the individual is eligible for.
- The rankings qualifying criteria are effective from November 2017 onwards. Players who have achieved such rankings before November 2017 are not eligible for a bursary in retrospect.
- A bursary may cover different aspects of different BSI programs and will exclude aspects where external providers are utilised e.g. the Junior Academy programme (the relevant bursary % will be applied to the Golf Programme and the Study Centre fees but the candidate will need to register and pay their selected academic provider their full fees directly).
- The bursary offer is valid for the full duration of the program until completion i.e. Junior Academy from grade 8 to 12 (provided that minimum agreed standards are met).
- Candidates will only qualify for a maximum of a 50% bursary e.g. a player who is a number one ranked junior player who receives national colours will not get 100% bursary.
- If a current BSI student becomes eligible for a performance bursary, the bursary will be valid for the next calendar year of the program (or other program) following the date of eligibility. A bursary candidate will still need to fulfil the enrolment requirements of BSI, which shall include an interview process.
- The achievement of the qualifying criteria does not automatically grant a candidate admission to BSI.
Terms and conditions apply (and may change at the sole discretion of BSI).