Higher Certificate in Sports Administration
The Higher Certificate in Sports Administration at BSI is a 1-year program that opens the pathway to a career in the multi-billion dollar business of sport. With the continued advancements in the professionalism of sport, the industry in South Africa and beyond is in need of qualified, competent and ethical sports managers, administrators and industry personnel.
The program empowers learners with the knowledge and skills required to be efficient in Business Administration. The curriculum empowers the learners with an understanding of Business in the areas of Finance, Marketing, Sales, Organisational Behaviour and Resource Management.
A strong theoretical base combined with practical experience enables our graduates to apply their knowledge and skills in the workplace. There is a specific focus on the South African sporting industry and its history. Combining this with the administrative areas of the curriculum, we create a complete qualification that effectively prepares learners for success in the sports industry.
Students can combine their studies with a BSI sports training program of their choice, for example the Football Elite Development Program, a golf training program, athletics training or fitness training.
Who Should Apply?
- Applicants who are looking to pursue a successful career in the multi-billion dollar sports industry.
- Athletes who are looking for a sports qualification whilst continuing their sports development in a BSI training program.
- Business Basics
- Principles of revenue and expenses to determine profit or loss
- Budgets as an essential financial instrument of sports entities
- Financial and business principles
- Principles of marketing
- Market research
- Marketing plans
- Promotional campaigns for teams and athletes
- Principles of sales, with a specific focus on sponsorship and membership
- Sponsorship proposals for potential funders.
- Governance in Sports Administration
- The role and function of good governance for SA sports entities and structures.
- Sports business leadership and ethics.
- Administration activities.
- South African Sport
- The impact of apartheid on SA sport and its historical and current implications for sport performance and the sport industry
- South African sports structures
- Community structures for sport development
- Socio-cultural dynamics in sport participation
- Youth participant development programs
- Business Organisation
- Operational structure requirements
- Organisational behaviour and its influence on employees
- HR practices
- Physical Resource Management
- Administration systems and processes in the context of physical resources
- Operational functions in accordance with best practice.
- Principles of human resources management in the context of facility requirements.
- Accessibility of sport and sports resources to the broader SA community.
- Local government integration in the development of sports facilities.
- Work Integrated Learning
- Students are required to log work-based learning practical hours within the sports industry.
Course Cost (Special Offer)
Course Fee (monthly payment option): R20,000 (R10,000 + R1,000 over 10 months)
Course Fee (upfront payment option 5% discount): R19,000 (Payable before commencement)
Application Fee: R750 (Payable on submission of application)
* Excludes sports training
BSI is provisionally registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training until 31 December 2024 as a private higher education institution under the Act. Registration certificate No.2021/HE07/007.
The qualification is registered with SAQA with Qualification ID 111634, at NQF level 05 and carries 120 credits.
Click here to download brochure...
Click here to download an application form...
Click here to download the 2023 yearly calendar...