Do you want to pursue a career in Greenkeeping? Spend your working life in the fresh air? This 1-year course takes learners through every aspect require to be a Golf Course Superintendent, one of the highest paid positions in the golf industry. The course combines subject theory supplemented with extensive practical experience at one or more of our partner golf courses.
In the 40-week program (4 cycles of 10 weeks), students need to complete a minimum of 1000 “practical hours”. This is achieved by working at least 2 full days a week on the golf course and completing 6 hours of academic work a week (half of which will be supervised learning).
The qualification is accredited by AgriSETA and recognized by the Golf Course Managers and Greenkeepers Association (GCMGA) and the Federation of European Golf Greenkeepers Association (FEGGA). Topics include;
- Grasses species and plant identification
- Soil types
- Golf Course Irrigation
- Pest control
- Equipment and maintenance
- Workshop safety
- Golf course design and construction
- Golf course management
- Putting green maintenance
- Maintaining bunkers
- Golf course marking and tournament preparation
- Managing health and safety
Learners improve their playing skills under guidance of a qualified BSI Golf Coach. Students receive 40 coaching sessions per year, regular evaluations and individual practice plans. The coaches use state of the art technology such as Trackman, Flight Scope and CoachNow to assist with the skills and technical learning.
We recommend that students also take the “playing” option, which includes our internal tournament schedule and membership at Royal Johannesburg & Kensington GC.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
Golfers who want to pursue a career in Greenkeeping, Golf Course Management or Golf Course Construction, whilst still improving their playing ability.
Our Greenkeeping graduates have been employed at top local and international courses and companies such as Royal Johannesburg & Kensington GC, Frenchman's Creek CC (USA), Pecanwood Estate, Irene CC, Houghton GC, Steyn City, Bonanza GC (Zambia), Kempton Park and Golf Data amongst others. Graduates join our exclusive Alumni Club and receive regular job opportunities from around the world.
- Grade 11 or equivalent
- Interview with Program Director
- Study material
- Academic supervision & management
- Tutor support
- Practical experience
- Exclusive lifetime access to BSI Alumni Club & access to worldwide job vacancies (Graduates)
- 40 x private golf coaching sessions
- Evaluations & practice plans
- Online training profile
- Use of BSI's technology (Trackman, Flightscope, K-Coach etc)
- Use of BSI Fitness Centre
- Online coaching if away from academy competing
- Range membership at Huddle Park (Mon-Fri)
- Flexible schedule
- BSI welcome pack
- Exclusive equipment and clothing deals form our partners
- BSI Golf Tournament Schedule (48 strokeplay events plus matchplay championships)
- Mental Coaching
- Golf Fitness Training
- Membership at Royal Johannesburg & Kensington GC